Sunday, November 17, 2013

DNG Women Tefillah class

I decided to teach this class on daily Amida - Shmone Esrei prayer with a simple goal in mind - to teach the meaning of the Hebrew words.  But the words have changed me, and continue to change, binding my soul with invisible threads to something higher, something intangible, but so strong, much stronger than the fragile ego, fearful and trembling before the Unknown.
I started going over the meaning of the words, adding commentaries from my favorite siddurim, adding concepts behind the words (Siddur Koren Sacks, Koren HaRav Soloveitchik, Hirsh Siddur). As I spoke, I added bits and pieces of Jewish history to the verbal presentation, mostly from Tanach, the book of Kings.
Then I realized that each blessing in the Amida is tied to certain verses in Torah, so I added the psukim and the commentary to them (from Hirsch Chumash), and so a few lines of each blessing grew into 15-20 pages of a power point document, and into a whole volume of thoughts and questions in my head, as well as in the minds of my friends and students.

DNG Tefillah Class - Overview

DNG Tefillah Class - Avot

DNG Tefillah Class - Gevurah

DNG Tefillah Class - Holiness

DNG Tefillah Class - Knowledge

No comments:

Post a Comment