Exodus 19:12-13 And you shall set boundaries
for the people around, saying, Beware of ascending the mountain or touching its
edge; whoever touches the mountain shall surely be put to death.' No hand shall touch it, for he shall be
stoned or cast down; whether man or beast, he shall not live. When the ram's
horn sounds a long, drawn out blast, they may ascend the mountain.
For the second
time while reading Yisro this paragraph draw my attention, more than even the
majestic phrase about the כַּנְפֵי
נְשָׁרִים I bore you on eagles' wings, and I brought you to Me. (19:4). There is a yearning in every human heart to approach the divine, to
come closer, just like the plant turns towards the sun, striving to grow
taller, to get more, so the human spirit is striving to grow, to reach higher
and higher. But there is a limit, a
boundary, a certain balance, precise conditions necessary for meaningful life.
Moshe was the only
human being summoned to ascend the mountain, but once he came up Hashem sends
him back: "Descend, warn the people lest they break through
to the Lord, and many of them will fall.” (19:21) … And Moses said to the Lord, "The
people cannot ascend to Mount Sinai , for You
warned us saying, Set boundaries for the mountain and sanctify it.' "But the Lord said to him, "Go,
descend, and [then] you shall ascend, and Aaron with you, but the priests and
the populace shall not break [their formation] to ascend to the Lord, lest He
wreak destruction upon them." (19:23-24)
Given my impulsive
nature I should be the last person to speak of the boundaries. Yet I am not so proud as to say ‘this is how
I am and it’s fine’. I know when I am
wrong, too often too late. I fast after
I do or say something stupid – that’s how I became thin. A soul of another person is part of the
divine, and I break the boundaries all the time with hasty words. There is a part of me, like another personality,
that is ready to rush into the fire or jump off the roof. How can I lead, or teach, or take care, what
kind of example do I set? And yet it
somehow inspires and draws others to follow.
It’s the same life force that drives one to become a four-star general
that can also destroy and lead into an abyss.
Set the boundary, go back and remind them again and again to stay back,
not to break through.
For some people
the boundary is not acceptable. They
say: ‘if I cannot ascend the mountain like Moshe Rabeinu, if I don’t feel the
divine spirit, if I don’t get high from a prayer, then it’s not for me.’ I am not proud. I know that I will get burned, again and
again, but I’ll remain at the foot of the mountain, waiting for the shofar
blast to be summoned. Just stay back.
הִשְׁבַּעְתִּי אֶתְכֶם בְּנוֹת יְרוּשָׁלַ ִם בִּצְבָאוֹת אוֹ בְּאַיְלוֹת הַשָּׂדֶה אִם תָּעִירוּ | וְאִם תְּעוֹרְרוּ אֶת הָאַהֲבָה עַד שֶׁתֶּחְפָּץ:
הִשְׁבַּעְתִּי אֶתְכֶם בְּנוֹת יְרוּשָׁלַ ִם בִּצְבָאוֹת אוֹ בְּאַיְלוֹת הַשָּׂדֶה אִם תָּעִירוּ | וְאִם תְּעוֹרְרוּ אֶת הָאַהֲבָה עַד שֶׁתֶּחְפָּץ:
No comments:
Post a Comment