"We see what is, because the Tree of Knowledge knows only good or bad. The Tree of Knowledge doesn't know about beauty. Beauty is deeper than if something is good or bad.
When I want someone to get closer to Yiddishkeit and closer to Eretz Yisrael, if I tell them that Eretz Yisrael is good, they won't come. Nobody comes merely because it's good. But if I tell them "Gevalt, is it beautiful!" then what a drawing card I have!
Look at how big tzaddikim look at people! They can see how beautiful Yidden are, how beautiful Yerushalayim is, how beautiful the Beis HaMikdash is.
I'll tell you something very deep. Babies aren't always so clean. They get dirty all the time, but why is a baby so beautiful? What is it that we see in a baby? We see so much light from heaven.
When a bride goes to the chuppah, G-d's light is shining upon her. She is so beautiful. This heavenly light is more beautiful than anything in the world.
Some people know everything in the world, but inside their heads they are dark. Sometimes a Yid knows just a few things, but those few things mean so much. That's because there's light behind them.
What's the light behind it?
When do I know I am tuned into beauty? When I learn something and it's full of light, it lifts me up to a higher level, beyond levels, beyond the story, beyond everything.
Who cares if I thought I knew it before? Suddenly, I'm beautiful."
From Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach "The Soul of Chanukah", Ch.2 Shining Souls.
No comments:
Post a Comment